Saturday, May 17, 2008



For those that may not know, I work in two industries, two of them being polar opposites. The restaurant industry, obviously, and the business world in an office.

I worked in restaurants since the age of 15.. I got the "real job" at 21.. and still worked "part time" at a restaurant (the hours are of course, more full time anyway..)

Nonetheless.. The other day, I was pretty much made to go to a business lunch. One of those quick sandwich and soup type of things when men and women in business attire prance and dance into restaurants expressing their snotty and high browed faces. They act as though the restaurant staff doesn't breath oxygen.. maybe they live on some type of chemical, maybe they just breath in business workers' carbon dioxide.

I am usually the person at the business lunch that stacks the plates and hands it to the server.. the others at the table normally ignore the workers while they try to grab the plates.

I remember those days before my "real job" at the office when I was waiting on tables at lunch time.. It was the most dreaded time for me. These people are uptight, they normally eat tuna salad sandwiches, and they all want unsweetened ice tea. Really.. You think I believe you eat that way all the time? They go home and each McDonalds or gigantic dinners. They didn't get to be 300 pounds eating tuna salads with oil and vinegar.. who are they kidding?

In the grand order of all, I think business lunches may rank up there with class reunions on the list of "Types of events I hate working for" ..

But as a worker in both industries now, I feel comraddery with the restaurant worker much more than the office workers next to me at the table..

0 comments:

There's soup on my fly © 2013 | Powered by Blogger | Blogger Template by DesignCart.org